The purpose of this organization shall be the advancement of the study of modern and classical languages and their literatures and cultures at all levels of instruction:
- by disseminating and publicizing information, data, and materials which promote, develop, and enhance the study and teaching of languages together with their literatures and cultures;
- by recognizing and publicizing excellence in second language study and teaching;
- by encouraging the development of outstanding foreign language programs;
- by promoting the work and interest of state foreign language organizations;
- by cooperating with regional, national, and international organizations whose purposes are compatible with those of TFLA.